Friday, January 15, 2016

Reading Old Friends

Where are you in the "Rereading Books" argument?

Some people are against it with a fervor that is usually reserved for politics and which way the toilet paper roll goes (over the top is the right way, just saying).

Meanwhile, some people annually reread some of their favorites. Heck, I know somebody who rereads the entire Harry Potter series every year.

I am definitely a re-reader. The Fallen Angels is a book that I bought probably before I was old enough to fully understand it, yet it is one of my favorites. I probably read it once a year or so and for some reason, I always forget about the twist at the end and am surprised by it. It's like my mind is preserving that little surprise for me.


I'm also one of those people who rereads series when the newest one comes out... except that gets a little much when the series hits Book 6 (Darynda Jones and Karen Marie Moning, I'm looking at you two). After that, I usually only reread the one or two before the newest one.

I've had people ask me why I waste my time rereading books when there are so many new ones out there. I've never had much of an answer for them beyond "Because I like them," but I've been thinking about it for the last couple of days, mainly because I'm thinking about rereading a pair of books that I've loved since middle school.

Rereading books is like hanging out with an old friend. You know all of their stories, you've been on all of their adventures with them, but you still enjoy their company.

No comments:

Post a Comment