Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Operation: Nebraska Author

Happy 2017 everybody!

In addition to the standard New Year’s resolutions: save money, get healthy, take over a small country, and FINISH WRITING A BOOK ALREADY!!!! I have added another project to my list for the new year. 

I am calling it Operation: Nebraska Author.

After a year of being active with my writer’s group, finally getting active with the Nebraska Writers Guild, and looking for the time to be active with some other local groups, I have discovered that there are many very talented authors in my neck of the woods. And I would not be surprised to hear that none of you knew that either (well, I would be if you read my Celebration of Nebraska Books post or have seen any of my gushing). 

So, this year, I have made it my goal to read at least one book a month by a (mostly) contemporary Nebraska author and talk about it here. Most of the "Nebraska Author" stack on my “books to be read” shelf that I have collected over the past few years are outside of my usual genre so I am looking forward to stretching myself a bit. I’ve got biography, autobiography, true crime, suspense, humor, romance, steampunk, fantasy, family drama… and only two of those genres are what I’ve read regularly since I grew out of picture books.


Some of the books I plan on reading this year!

In no particular order, I present the books...

Physical:
The Meaning of Names by Karen Gettert Shoemaker
In Cold Storage by James W. Hewitt
Born to be a Warrior by Lynn O. High
Recipes for Revenge by G. M. Barlean
Blissfully Married by Victorine E Lieske
Sky Rider: The Story of Evelyn Sharp by Dr. Jean A. Lukesh
Dust & Cannibals by Bruce Schindler
The Downeys Trilogy by Genevieve Dewey
Steam on the Horizon & Clouds of War by Melissa Ann Conroy
Diary of an American Witch by Heather Stowe

Audio Book:
One Two Kill a Few by John Achor

E-books:
Broken Road by Mari Beck
Thorns of Rosewood: Book 1 by G. M. Barlean


Plus the six or so books that I need to get my hands on, including the 2017 One Book, One Nebraska book, Black Elk Speaks by Black Elk and John Neihardt.

I would not be surprised if I add to my stack over the course of this project and it may grow into a regular thing beyond 2017. Heck, I might even add a book of poetry (nothing against it, just not my thing) if I’m feeling a little adventurous.

If you have read/written a book that I absolutely must check out (mainly by Nebraska writers for this, but I'll always take recommendations), let me know either in the comments below or by email, Facebook, Pintrest, Litsy (K.Wielechowski), smoke signal, carrier pigeon, etc.

1 comment: